Daily Reading & Prayer

First Things First

January 19, 2020


Colossians 1:15-20, “The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. And He is the head of the body, the church; He is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything He might have the supremacy. For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him, and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through His blood, shed on the cross.”


You’re at a dinner party and the host — your best friend — knowingly serves your favorite dish. It smells delicious and you can’t wait to taste it. However, after everyone else is handed a generous portion, you’re given last night’s leftovers. How would you feel?Can you imagine God doing that? Giving us His second best? It’s truly inconceivable because He’s given us everything! Literally, everything! God gave His firstborn Son to stand in our place and take on the punishment we deserve for our sins. The Bible says our sinless Savior actually became sin for us so we could have eternal life in paradise. Really, let that sink in. That’s love! And because He loves us, He gave us the Principle of the Firsts.When we start our morning with prayer, God blesses us with greater focus throughout the day. When we honor God by gathering on Sunday, He blesses the other six days. When we honor Him with the first 10% of our income, He blesses the other 90%. In all we do, if we put Him first, we will accomplish great things and fulfill His purpose.Is God first in your life? Are you giving Him your best? Do so, and you will be blessed in ways you never dreamed possible!


2 Corinthians 5:21 says, “God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.” Let this verse resonate in your heart today and consider if you’re serving leftovers to God in any area of your life.


Lord Jesus, thank You for taking my place and bearing the pain of my sin on the cross. You are my everything! Today, I give You my best. Amen.

Share This Links